Saturday, May 28, 2011

say what?!

So if you are wondering what the heck these ugly diseases are that my precious husband has....I have a few answers. I encourage you to NOT google these diseases (unless you don't love justin...in that case google away). Sweet friends told me NOT to google...and well I did...and well that was a mistake. Another friend told me that if I insist on looking things up...I should visit Mayo Clinic. So below I have listed just some very basic info on the 3 autoimmune diseases that have infected our lives.

We are taking this day by day...actually more like minute to minute. His next appointment is June 8th.

Did I mention that the rheumatologist told Justin to go play the lottery? He said having all 3 of these at this same time in one in a billion. great.

So here it is....

Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory disorder that most typically affects the small joints in your hands and feet. It affects the lining of your joints, causing a painful swelling that can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity. It is an autoimmune disorder and occurs when your immune system mistakenly attacks your own body's tissues. In addition to causing joint problems, rheumatoid arthritis can also affect your whole body with fevers and fatigue.

Systemic Sclerosis aka Scleroderma is a group of rare, progressive diseases that involve the hardening and tightening of the skin and connective tissues — the fibers that provide the framework and support for your body. Systemic scleroderma also harms internal organs, such as the heart, lungs, kidneys and digestive tract.

Lupus is a chronic inflammatory disease that occurs when your body's immune system attacks your own tissues and organs. Inflammation caused by lupus can affect many different body systems, including your joints, skin, kidneys, blood cells, heart and lungs.


blog comments powered by Disqus